We at Mountain Trek are very conscious of the fact our guests are required to travel, sometimes great distances, in order to benefit from our program. Whether they’re joining us during one of our adventure treks around the globe, or at Rancho La Puerta in Baja, Mexico, or our beautiful lodge in British Columbia, inevitably they will have to pack a suitcase.
In honour of Earth Day this year (April 22nd) we wanted to share with you some super easy tips that will not only have a positive impact on your environment, they will also help make your travelling experience easier and healthier.
1. Pack Less and Be More Fuel Efficient – The fewer items you put in your suitcase, the easier it will be to get around and it will involve less energy and fuel to get where you’re going.
2. Minimize Your Use of Air Conditioning and Heat – Follow the same rules you do at home: if you’re cold, put on a sweater, and if you’re hot, open some windows, take a quick, cool shower and put on lighter clothes.
3. Opt Out of Daily Housekeeping – By reusing your towels and sheets, rather than having the housekeeping staff launder them everyday, you’ll help conserve water and energy during your trip.
4. Bring Your Own Toiletries – At Mountain Trek we offer locally-made, hypoallergenic and natural soap in reusable dispensers to all our guests. But in many hotels, toiletries come pre-wrapped or in tiny bottles. You may use them once or twice and then discard them, at which point they’ll end up in landfill. Instead, bring your own soaps and shampoos and leave the pre-packaged cleansers for others.
5. Eat Local & Organic Food – Just because you’re on vacation doesn’t mean you should veer away from the local markets. In fact, some of our best travel experiences are had when shopping for fresh food. While eating McDonald’s in Russia may seem novel, you’re actually doing harm to your body and the planet.
6. Bring Your Own Mug – According to a study done by Simon Fraser University, over 58 billion paper cups are thrown away every year, the equivalent of 20 million trees. Do the planet a favour and reuse your own mug or ask the kitchen staff to get one for you.
Happy Earth Day from all of us here at Mountain Trek! Be sure to enjoy the beautiful outdoors wherever you may be.