Explore the Land of the Rising Sun
Japan. Land of cherry blossoms, hot springs and ancient temples. Where tea ceremonies are sacred and relaxing baths are a daily ritual. There is a reason this island nation has the longest life expectancy of any country in the world. It’s the deliberateness in the way people live here: an understanding that everyone deserves respect; that your body deserves exercise and good food; and your soul deserves some peace once in awhile.
Join Mountain Trek in the Spring of 2014 when we explore Japan – the land of the rising sun. If relaxing in a natural hot spring after every mountain hike is something that interests you, or learning about Japanese culture and customs at a 1,000-year-old temple or enjoying stunning views of the country’s famous Mt Fuji, then this is the trip for you.
Here are some of the highlights of the two tours that we will be hosting:
Tour One: Mountains and Culture
- Enjoy the Aokigahara walk through a fairytale forest of lava tubes and twisted trees.
- Hike Mistutoge, above Lake Kawaguchi, one of the famous Fuji Five Lake.
- Hike Myojingatake and enjoy the beautiful 360-degree views of Mt. Fuji, the surrounding peaks, and the Pacific Ocean.
- Walk a portion of the Tokaido, the traditional path of the Shogun that linked Tokyo to Kyoto.
- Hike the Mt. Amagi traverse on the side of one of Japan’s top 100 famous mountains
- Enjoy the Hasedera walk through the hills above the ancient capital of Kamakura and visit Zen temples, shrines and the “Great Buddha.”
- Enjoy the cultural aspects of visiting the famed Hakone and Izu regions.
- Plus: relax in an Onsen, a traditional hot spring accommodation, every night including the world-famous Kawazu Onsen.
Tour Two: Mountains and Spirit
- Enjoy Mt. Koya where traditional pilgrimages start at a mountain-top temple village long in history and deep in spirituality.
- Ascend the ancient Cho-ishi path.
- Walk and visit the Shikoku Temples numbers 1-10
- A full day hike up to the beautiful mountain-top Shikoku Temples #11 and #12
- Ascend Tsurugi-san, Shikoku’s most sacred peak, and one of Japan’s top 100 famous mountains
- Visit the famous vine bridges in the Shikoku region.
- Visit Temple #88, the final temple of the pilgrimage.
- Plus: relax in an Onsen, a traditional hot spring accommodation, every night.
All inclusive Cultural Guided Hiking Vacation (7 nights) with Lead Guide & Host, Kirkland Shave and local Guides, like Ted.
- Trek 1: Saturday March 29 – Saturday, April 5
Trek 2: Sunday, April 6 – Sunday, April 13SOLD OUT
This active vacation is ideal for intermediate to advanced hikers due to the fitness required. Feel free to call Kirkland to discuss any concerns you may have about your ability to participate: 1-800-661-5161.
- Trek 1: 16 Guests maximum
Trek 2: 12 Guests maximumSOLD OUT
Booking Deadline: February 7, 2014 – 12 noon PST
- Y450,000 per person for either trek with a Y50,000 single supplement
- Deposit of Y150,000 is required to secure your booking. Full payment due by January, 15, 2014.
- All rooms have 2 twin size beds. Price is per person. No discount if sharing a room.
- Trek 1 – The tour starts in Tokyo, and ends in Yokohama. You should fly into one of the two Tokyo airports, (Narita or Haneda).
- Trek 2 – The tour starts in Osaka and ends in Kyoto. Ideally, you should fly into Kansai International Airport (KIX), located 1 hour from the hotel. However, as routes are limited, Narita Airport is also possible, yet would require an additional 4-5 hour train journey down to Osaka, costing close to $250 one way. For those exploring this option, please contact us prior to booking airfares so our local Guide can explain what’s involved.
- Transport of luggage between hotels during the tour portion
- Entry fees or permits
- Breakfast and dinners
- Hiking poles, foot care, electrolytes
What’s Not Included:
- Transfers to / from airports
- Lunches and snacks
- Laundry (although it will available at hotels at personal expense)
Reservations must be handled through the Mountain Trek office at 1-800-661-5161 or email@example.com