A delicious and healthy breakfast, these Mexican Huevos Rancheros will spice up your typical morning routine. Packed with natural protein, healthy fats, and vitamins, this dish can also be accompanied by a dollop of brown rice for even more lasting energy. Served atop cassava flour tortillas, which are derived from grinding cassava, a gluten-free, low-glycemic index root vegetable rich in vitamin C, this meal is a wonderful, healthy start to your day.
INGREDIENTS (Serves 2-4)
- 1/2 cup onions
- 1/2 cup cooked pinto or black beans
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 dash of salt
- 1 chipotle Tabasco sauce (or favorite hot sauce) dash
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 oz diced canned tomatoes
- 2 oz tinned tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp green chilies
- 1/4 cup cheese, grated (crumbled queso fresco, feta, or other favorite)
- 1 avocado
- 2 Tbsp cilantro leaves – chopped finely
- 4 large eggs
- 4 cassava flour tortillas
- Sauté half of the onions with the cooked beans, adding cumin, a dash of salt, and a dash of the chipotle sauce. When cooked through, mash and set aside, keeping warm.
- Sauté the remaining half of the onion in a small amount of water with the garlic, tomatoes and tomato sauce, chili powder, green chilies, and chipotle.
- Scramble or fry the eggs.
- Pan fry tortillas until crispy (desired level of crispiness).
- Place the tortilla on the plate and layer the bean mixture over the top. Next, layer the egg, and then place the sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Garnish with avocado slices and minced cilantro.
What is Mountain Trek?
Mountain Trek is the health reset you’ve been looking for. Our award-winning health retreat, immersed in the lush nature of British Columbia, will help you detox, unplug, recharge, and roll back years of stress and unhealthy habits. To learn more about the retreat, and how we can help you reset your health, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out below: