The Spa Cuisine at Mountain Trek is 5 Star. We are happy to provide some of those great recipes to all.
This soup earns star status at Mountain Trek for its rich and delicious flavors and beautiful color. You can prepare it with or without chicken. If choosing the latter, then add chickpeas for protein and texture. Serves 4.
- 4 organic free run chicken breasts, 4 or 5 ounces each.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups yam, diced
- 1 ½ cups celery, chopped
- 1 ½ cups carrot, chopped
- 1 ½ cups onion, chopped
- ¾ cup canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- ½ large jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 ¼ tablespoons curry powder, lightly toasted
- ¾ cup canned coconut milk
- ½ cup tart apple, finely chopped pinch pepper
- ¾ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Cube the chicken breasts and sauté until just cooked through.
- Sauté vegetables to soften, stir in curry powder and ginger and cook for a minute or two.
- Add stock, and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until veggies are tender.
- Add the chicken cubes to soup along with coconut milk and apple.
- Season to taste.
To download find more Mountain Trek recipes and to get the shopping list for this recipe, download our Habits 2 Health App now.
It’s our first week back in session in BC and it’s been a little cool and damp around the lodge. Spring showers and the odd snow flake have surprised and delighted us with their unpredictable way of dashing in and then dashing out again just as suddenly. There’s a saying in the mountains – wait 20 minutes and the weather will change. And so it has!
Tip: take the spices (including the ginger) aside and saute them in a near dry skillet on a low heat for a few minutes. This helps release their rich flavours. Then add your onions, celery, etc and saute them all together. This dish can also be left to cook in a slow cooker rather than simmering on the stove.