Imagine an epic landscape, one of jagged summits, lush jungles, river gorges and arid alpine. Imagine temple ruins, ancient pathways and irrigation systems as facets of living rural communities and a cosmopolitan city. Imagine the trip of a lifetime ‒ imagine Peru. For thousands of years people have walked the Inca trails; you can join them with Mountain Trek in the spring of 2013.
This active vacation is
- available for intermediate to advanced hikers due to the fitness required
- an amazing opportunity to immerse yourself in the food, culture and landscape of the Andes (not focused on weight loss)
- lead by Mountain Trek’s head guide Kirkland, ensuring that foot care, first aid, hydration and electrolytes are all attended to.
Kirkland will also lead daily yoga-focused warm up and cool down sessions.
Settle into the Andes
Our adventure trek will begin with 3 days of acclimatization.
- land in the capital city of Cusco, the Ombligo del Mundo – centre of the world – centre of the Incan Empire and a place of pilgrimage for centuries
- stay in 4 star hotels so the adjustment to Peru is smooth and comfortable
- explore the city for one day before we descend and explore the pastoral Sacred Valley (2,400m or 7,880 ft elevation)
- explore at a relaxed pace so guests can adjust to the altitude of the Peruvian Andes.
In the Sacred Valley, we’ll take an easy walk in Maras to explore the Moray amphitheatre, an Incan agricultural research centre. Then we’ll walk to the Salineras, where as the name suggests, the Incans collected salt in mountainside pools.
The next day, we’ll take a moderate walk to Ollantaytambo. This is the living city of the Incas, where people still reside in the dwellings, use the terraces and channels from ancient times. We’ll explore the fascinating ruins of the Sun Temple, then return to our lodge.
Trek into the past on the Inca Trail
The trek will include:
- shuttle to the start of our 6 day, lodge to lodge journey
- support by Kirkland and two additional guides
- transport of packs by horses, mules or porters (guests will only carry daypacks with water, clothing, lunch and snacks, just as in our British Columbia Mountain Trek experience).
Small, guided groups mean that each person can hike with others who share their pace.
Each day, we’ll walk through time, seeing ancient ruins and participating in a path that thousands of feet have tread. We’ll walk through small mountain villages and connect with the Quechua people who live there. Each night we’ll settle into a comfortable lodge, with WiFi, clean filtered water and delicious meals.
Our destination, Machu Picchu (meaning old peak), is an Incan site built on a mountain ridge at an elevation of 2,430 m (7,970 ft). Some archaeologists believe it was built as an estate for the Incan emperor Pachacuti (1431-1472), but abandoned with the Spanish Conquest. However, its complete story is shrouded in mist.
Photos can’t convey the grandeur, the sweep of the streets, temples and dwellings set against the backdrop of jagged Andean peaks. Terraces, gardens, aqueducts and stairways create immaculate patterns in chorus with the sun and moon that illuminate them. Form and design reflect the geological masterpieces that surround the site.
Find out what you’re capable of! The days will be full of discovery, each evening you will be able to reflect, rest and incorporate all that you’ve seen and experienced.
If you’ve joined us at Mountain Trek before, you know the balance of adventure with the feeling of security. Delicious food, beautiful accommodations and a chance to use the fitness and confidence you developed with us, will make this a fantastic vacation experience. If you haven’t joined us yet, what better time to get to know Mountain Trek.
Two Treks of your choice with the same distance and fitness level:
Trek 1: Thursday March 28 – Monday, April 8
Trek 2: Friday, April 5 – Tuesday, April 16
Availability: 11 Guests maximum each Trek.
Booking Deadline: March 15, 2013 (first come basis).
Pricing: US$5,900 all inclusive (includes tax)
Price is based on double occupancy (2 single beds or shared) for 11 nights. Or, you have the option of 5 nights single occupancy at the beginning and end, with 6 nights double occupancy during lodge-to-lodge trek portion, for an additional $1,000. Please specify upon booking.