Japanese for “pleasant savory taste” or “essence of deliciousness”, Umami is a flavor that everyone loves and craves. This Umami Beef recipe is simple, taking only 25 minutes and one pan to make, yet a complete meal that is packed full of flavor and nutrients—exactly what you need after a long day. The rich flavors of the beef pair nicely with the freshness of the vegetables, while the sauteed cauliflower satiates cravings for white rice. Use high-quality grass-fed ground beef, or substitute ground pork, chicken, or turkey to make this recipe your own.
Nutritional Powerhouse: Snap peas contain 18 percent of the daily recommended intake of dietary iron in one cup. Iron is an incredibly important mineral that has been shown to reduce female fatigue, even in non-iron-deficient women.
Expect this recipe to take 25 minutes.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- 1 Tbsp Tamari
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower, grated
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 2 carrots, shredded
- ½ cup snow peas, cut diagonally in half
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 cucumber slices
- ¼ cup cashews or peanuts, toasted and chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil and mint, rough chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- 2 Tbsp Tamari
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp almond butter
- ¼ cup water
Instructions (25 min)
- Whisk together the first 5 ingredients (up to the beef). Then pour over the beef and let sit while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. You can also whisk by hand.
- Heat a medium fry pan over medium heat and add 1 tsp grapeseed oil. Add the beef and break up into small pieces, and let sit in an even layer in the pan while it browns on one side for a few minutes. Then flip and let sit again for a few minutes until cooked through.
- Place the beef in a bowl and set to the side.
- Add the grated cauliflower to the same pan and saute on medium heat for 3-5 minutes until slightly cooked but still firm.
- Place the cauliflower and remaining vegetables in a bowl, and top with beef, cashews or peanuts, basil and mint, and a wedge of lime in each bowl. Drizzle with sauce.
What is Mountain Trek?
Mountain Trek is an award-winning health retreat located in the lush forests of British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 1991, our health reset program helps 16 guests at a time unplug, recharge, reconnect with nature, and roll back years of stress and unhealthy habits. Our nutrition program uses local, organic ingredients and reduces inflammation and balances blood sugar levels and hormones. To learn more about Mountain Trek, and how we can help reset your health, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out below: