Coconut Shrimp Curry with Buckwheat and Cabbage Slaw with Lemon Lime Vinaigrette
This is a quick and approachable dish that is excellent for a complete lunch or dinner. Taking just 45 minutes, but certainly not cutting any corners on flavor and nutrition, this recipe is a great one to make multiple times and experiment with, as it very adaptable—you could substitute the shrimp for chicken, or chickpeas and more vegetables. The buckwheat could also be replaced with cauliflower rice!
Nutritional Powerhouse: Buckwheat is a gluten-free, complex carbohydrate. One of the most abundant minerals in buckwheat is manganese, which is essential for healthy metabolism, growth, development, and your body’s antioxidant defenses.
Expect this recipe to take 45 minutes.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 14.5 oz diced tomato
- 1 14.5 oz can coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 lb shrimp
- ½ cup buckwheat
- 1 lime
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp honey
- ¼ bunch minced cilantro
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ head of cabbage, thin sliced
- 1 carrot, julienne
- ½ red bell pepper, julienne
- 1 bunch green onions, thin sliced
Instructions (45 min)
- Heat coconut oil over medium in a medium sized saucepan.
- Add the onions and saute for 5-7 minutes, until soft and starting to brown. Add the garlic, ginger, and spices and stir for 3 minutes until all incorporated together. Add the tomatoes and coconut to the pan and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the curry sauce is simmering, prepare the slaw, buckwheat, and shrimp.
- For the slaw, combine the ingredients from the oil through the salt to make the dressing. Then toss with cabbage, carrot, bell pepper, and green onion. Set aside while you finish the curry.
- For the buckwheat, rinse ½ cup buckwheat in running water in a sieve until water runs clear. Place in a saucepan with 1 cup of water and bring to a simmer. Simmer covered until liquid has absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering and buckwheat is cooking, heat a saute pan over medium heat with 1 Tbsp coconut oil.
- Add the shrimp and sear on each side for 2 minutes. Add the to curry simmer sauce, and cook for another 5 minutes. Add juice from 1 lime.
- Serve the coconut shrimp curry on the buckwheat with salad on the side.
What is Mountain Trek?
Mountain Trek is an award-winning health retreat located in the lush forests of British Columbia, Canada. Founded in 1991, our health reset program helps 16 guests at a time unplug, recharge, reconnect with nature, and roll back years of stress and unhealthy habits. Our nutrition program uses local, organic ingredients and reduces inflammation and balances blood sugar levels and hormones. To learn more about Mountain Trek, and how we can help reset your health, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out below: