This healthy Asian chicken salad with Thai dressing packs some of our favorite flavors and nutrients without the typical carb-load most Asian salads bring to the table. Julienned and finely diced vegetables replace noodles and present extremely well, making this salad a great, lighter option for serving at your next lunch or dinner party. Substitute sliced and grilled portabello mushroom to make it vegetarian.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 lb organic, free-range/pasture-raised chicken breast (substitute tofu or portabello mushroom for vegetarian option)
- 1 1/2 Tbs. Tamari or Braggs
- 1 1/2 Tbs. grapeseed oil
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. orange juice
- 1/4 tsp. Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce
- 4 c. fresh organic greens, plated as a base for the salad
- 3/4 c. snap peas, cubed
- 3/4 c. carrots, julienned or finely diced
- 3/4 c. green beans, blanched
- 3/4 c. cucumber, diced
- 1 c. celery, julienned or finely diced
- 1/3 c. red onion, minced
- 1/3 c. water chestnuts, sliced and halved
- 3/4 c. colored pepper, julienned or finely diced
- 1 orange, 4 slices
- 1/4 c. lightly toasted slivered almonds
- 2 Tbs. lightly toasted sesame seeds
- 1/3 c. olive oil
- 1/2 Tbs. sesame oil
- 1 Tbs. tamari or Braggs
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. white balsamic vinegar
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger root
- ½ tsp. prepared Dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoons honey
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a large reusable container.
- Slice chicken into 1″ strips and marinate for 45 minutes.
- While the chicken marinates, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the green beans, cooking until tender-crisp, but still bright green, about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain well and immediately plunge into ice water to stop the cooking (blanching)
- Prepare the remaining salad ingredients, placing atop a bed of greens. Leave the orange slice, almonds, and sesame seeds until just before serving.
- Prepare Thai dressing by combing all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Saute (or grill, if available) the chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
- Top salad with chicken, an orange slice, slivered almonds, and sesame seeds, and then dress to taste.
What is Mountain Trek?
Mountain Trek is the health reset you’ve been looking for. Our award-winning health retreat, immersed in the lush nature of British Columbia, will help you detox, unplug, recharge, and roll back years of stress and unhealthy habits. To learn more about the retreat, and how we can help you reset your health, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out below: