If you’re looking for a hearty chili that will fuel you but not leave you bloated and weighed down, this is the recipe for you. This healthy Pumpkin and Bison Chili recipe is absolutely loaded with everything you want; protein to sustain you, nutrients and fiber to keep you running clean, and flavor so rich you’ll think it was cooked for days. A wonderful dinner or lunch, this chili is also great for fueling on the trail, especially when the temps drop.
Key Ingredients & Their Value To You:
Pumpkin—Rich in vitamin A (245% RDI per cup) and C (16% RDI) to help your immune system, packed with antioxidants alpha-carotene, beta-carotene and beta-cryptoxanthin to help protect your cells and reduce inflammation, and a good nutrient-to-calorie ratio to help regulate weight.
Bison— Protein-rich to provide you sustained energy, high in minerals iron, selenium, and zinc, which aid in blood production, fight free radicals that lead to inflammation, and support our immune system to fight off viruses and bacteria, respectively. Bison is also a leaner meat, so lower in calories to help with weight loss goals.
Black & Kidney Beans—High in fiber to aid our digestion, protein to balance our energy levels, and naturally low in sodium but rich in minerals that decrease blood pressure, such as potassium, calcium, and magnesium.
Cumin—Contains naturally occurring antioxidants that have been proven to help control blood sugar levels, reduce inflammation caused by free radicals, and calm and IBS symptoms you may have.
Ingredients (Serves 6-8)
- 1 lb ground bison
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ C diced carrot
- ½ C diced celery
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 C broth of choice
- 1 (14.5) oz can black beans, drained
- 1 (14.5) oz can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (14.5) oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 (14.5) oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with juice
- ½ C frozen corn kernels
- ¼ C chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven.
- Add the meat, salt, and a ½ cup of water and turn down to low heat.
- As the meat cooks, use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir and break up the pieces. When done, drain off the liquid and set the meat aside.
- Return the pot back to the stove and heat the oil. Add onions, carrot, celery, and bell pepper and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add spices and garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add remaining ingredients except for cilantro and lime juice and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, add the meat back in and cook for 1 hour uncovered, stirring every 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add cilantro and lime juice, check the seasoning and adjust as needed.
What is Mountain Trek?
Mountain Trek is the health reset you’ve been looking for. Our award-winning health retreat, immersed in the lush nature of British Columbia, will help you detox, unplug, recharge, and roll back years of stress and unhealthy habits. To learn more about the retreat, and how we can help you reset your health, please email us at email@example.com or reach out below: