This Tom Kha Gai soup is a healthy and warming lunch or dinner meal. Its unique blend of spice, savory, and citrus offers your tastebuds an authentic taste of South East Asia, while a healthy inclusion of vegetables not typically found in this soup bolsters the nutritional resume of this dish. The coconut milk base affords a mouthful of taste and ample healthy fats while mushroom, broccoli, red bell pepper, carrot, and onion pack in vitamins and minerals. A wonderful soup year-round, it’s best served in the winter months.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- ½ medium onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4-inch piece ginger peeled and chopped
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves
- 1 red jalapeno, sliced and deseeded
- 2 lemongrass stalks pounded with the side of a knife and cut into 2-inch long pieces
- 1 Tbsp red Thai curry paste
- 4 C chicken broth
- 2 (14.5oz) cans coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce or vegan Worchester
- 1 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 Tbsp tamari
- 1 C carrot
- ½ medium onion, saute slice
- 1 C broccoli florets
- 1 C sliced white mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1.5lb chicken thighs
- 1 Tbsp Braggs amino acids
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 C water
- 1 bouillon cube
- 3 limes
- ½ C cilantro
- In a medium pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, lime leaves, chili, and lemongrass, stirring frequently for 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Strain out the aromatics (the garlic, onions, chili, lemongrass, and ginger) and discard.
- Add in coconut milk, Worcestershire, and coconut aminos, stir. Add all of the veggies to the soup and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Follow the method for making the chicken below, and then add to the soup with the lime juice once vegetables are done cooking. Garnish with cilantro.
- Set the oven to 400F. Heat a pan to medium-high and add 1 Tbsp coconut oil. Let heat the oil heat, and then sear the chicken on each side until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Add the Braggs, sesame oil, water, and bouillon then braise at 400F for 10 minutes. Once cooled, shred and add to soup at the end of cooking.
Note: This recipe was created in collaboration with Forklore Foods.
What is Mountain Trek?
Mountain Trek is the health reset you’ve been looking for. Our award-winning health retreat, immersed in the lush nature of British Columbia, will help you detox, unplug, recharge, and roll back years of stress and unhealthy habits. To learn more about the retreat, and how we can help you reset your health, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out below: