Coconut Curry Shrimp with Buckwheat and Cabbage Slaw with Lemon Vinaigrette
Perched beautifully atop a soft bed of buckwheat, this coconut curry shrimp will delight your tastebuds and your metabolism. Packed full of minerals and vitamins, shrimp is also an excellent source of protein. Coupled with a bright and fresh cabbage slaw that isn’t like any other slaw you’ve ever had, this meal has it all. Enjoy this recipe as a healthy lunch or dinner.
This recipe is the second dinner in our 2-day Healthy Meal Plan, a 48-hour nutrition plan developed by our chef and nutritionist to give you a metabolic reset. The plan covers the entire day, from waking to sleep, and teaches you how to treat food as fuel, eating nutrient-dense ingredients in the correct portion sizes at the optimal times. The result is reduced inflammation, increased energy, weight loss, improved gut health, and balanced hormones.
This recipe was originally cooked by a Basecamp Weekend Retreat group.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- Olive oil
- Liquid aminos
- Cabbage (~½ head needed)
- 1 carrot
- ½ red bell pepper
- Cilantro (~¼ bunch needed)
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- Garlic (~3 cloves needed)
- Curry powder
- 1 C coconut milk
- 1 lb. shrimp (or other seafood or protein)
- ½ C buckwheat
Cabbage Slaw with Cilantro Lemon Vinaigrette
- Finely chop cabbage (1 cup needed). Julienne 1 carrot and ½ red bell pepper. Slice green onion, separating greens and whites and setting whites aside.
- Combine cabbage, carrots, red bell pepper, and green onion greens.
- Finely mince ~¼ bunch cilantro.
- Juice and zest 1 lemon and whisk together with 3 Tbsp. olive oil, ½ tsp. liquid aminos, and 1 tsp. cilantro (set aside remaining cilantro)
- Serve cabbage salad dressed with cilantro lemon vinaigrette.
- Rinse ½ cup buckwheat in running water until water runs clear (approximately 4 times).
- Bring 1 cup of water and buckwheat to a simmer and cook, covered, until liquid has absorbed (approximately 15 minutes).
Coconut Curry Shrimp
- Mince garlic (1 Tbsp. needed).
- Sauté 2 Tbsp. green onion whites, 1 Tbsp. minced garlic, and 1 Tbsp. curry powder in 1 tsp. olive oil.
- Add 1 cup coconut milk and bring to simmer.
- Add 1 lb. shrimp and simmer on low until done (approximately 3 minutes).
- Finish sauce with juice and zest of 1 lime and 1 Tbsp minced cilantro.
- Serve atop buckwheat.
- If making this recipe as part of our 2-day Healthy Meal Plan, reserve and store remaining cooked buckwheat for tomorrow’s breakfast.
What is Mountain Trek?
Mountain Trek is the health reset you’ve been looking for. Our award-winning health retreat, immersed in the lush nature of British Columbia, will help you detox, unplug, recharge, and roll back years of stress and unhealthy habits. To learn more about the retreat, and how we can help you reset your health, please email us at email@example.com or reach out below: