If you love cheesy, creamy soups but want a simple, healthy option, this Cream of Broccoli & Chickpea Soup recipe is for you! Incredibly quick and easy to make, the addition of nutritional yeast adds an almost “cheesy” flavor mimicking a broccoli cheese soup, while finishing with Greek yogurt adds a creamy feel and subtly tart note, giving this soup all the best characteristics without all of the unhealthy additions!
Speaking of healthy, let’s discuss broccoli for a second because it has taken on quite a reputation as a “superfood.” While what we believe is “super” is eating a variety of different foods, broccoli undoubtedly contains an impressive wealth of nutrients and antioxidants that support many aspects of our health. Just one cup of this cruciferous vegetable contains 135% of your recommended daily intake of Vitamin C and 116% of your Vitamin K. That same cup comes packed with 2.4 grams of fiber, showing that this veggie isn’t just a one-trick pony. Learn about Mountain Trek’s nutrition tenants.
Perhaps broccoli’s greatest benefit, however, is something called sulforaphane. This unique plant chemical is not only responsible for the aroma and flavor (hello sulfur smell!), it has also been shown to protect cells from DNA damage, inactivate carcinogens, and have antibacterial and antiviral effects.
This soup can be enjoyed as is, half-pureed to create more of a smooth texture, or fully pureed for an even more silkiness.
Note: 12 guests recently made this recipe alongside our chef and nutritionist in a virtual Basecamp Weekend Retreat.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 heads broccoli
- ¼ C nutritional yeast
- ½ t Kosher salt
- 1—15.5 oz can chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
- ¼ C Greek yogurt
- Small dice 1 yellow onion, mince 3 cloves garlic, and place in a large saucepot with 1 T olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Rough chop the 2 heads of broccoli into ½ – 1” pieces, reserve about 1 C of the chopped florets to finish the soup with later. Place the remainder into the pot with the onions and garlic. Let cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add 1 Q water, ¼ C nutritional yeast, and ½ t salt.
- Drain and rinse a can of chickpeas. When broccoli stem pieces are tender, add the drained and rinsed can of chickpeas and the reserved broccoli florets. Cook until broccoli florets are just barely tender (al dente).
- Add ¼ C Greek yogurt and enjoy!
What is Mountain Trek?
Mountain Trek is the health reset you’ve been looking for. Our award-winning health retreat, immersed in the lush nature of British Columbia, will help you detox, unplug, recharge, and roll back years of stress and unhealthy habits. To learn more about the retreat, and how we can help you reset your health, please email us at email@example.com or reach out below: