This plant-based, gluten-free, protein and nutrient-rich soup will warm your belly and your tastebuds. Lentils, which are technically beans, were first cultivated in the Middle East some 10,000 years ago, and pack a gluten-free, protein punch. In fact, they have the second-highest protein count of any bean, taking second place to the soybean. Additionally, lentils are packed full of fiber. We like them in this recipe because they provide a powerful foundation for the soup while allowing the other more exotic flavors to take center stage.
Butternut squash is also one of the oldest known crops, hailing from Mexico and Central America, and also high in fiber. It is off the charts in Vitamin A (100% Daily Value) and also rich in Vitamin C (40% DV), making it a great ingredient to include in this warming soup to give our immune systems a much-needed boost.
Perfectly balanced spices and accompanying vegetables round out this dish to give you an instant fall favorite.
This recipe is the last lunch in our 2-Day Healthy Eating Meal Plan, an efficient, healthy menu that will show you how simple and easy it can be to cook delicious, beautiful recipes. With the meal plan, every single ingredient in this recipe is reused in subsequent meals, minimizing your shopping list and reducing time in the kitchen.
- Cook your butternut squash in a dinner recipe the night before, like our Moroccan Spiced Beef with Roasted Butternut Squash. Save a serving of butternut squash to make this recipe simple, quick, and easy. OR,
- Cook this recipe at the same time as our Moroccan Spiced Beef with Roasted Butternut Squash recipe to optimize your time in the kitchen. These two recipes use similar ingredients so you get two meals for the effort of one.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 small butternut squash
- olive oil
- liquid aminos
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 4 stalks celery
- 4 Tbsp. garlic
- 3 Tbsp. curry powder
- 4 C vegetable stock
- ½ C red lentils
- Heat oven to 425 F (400 on convection setting if your oven has one).
- Peel and cut 1 small butternut squash into slices from the bottom and medium dices at the top.
- Toss in 1 tsp. olive oil and 1 tsp. liquid aminos on sheet pan lined with parchment.
- Roast until tender.
Curried Butternut Squash Lentil Soup
- Sauté ½ yellow onion, ½ bell pepper, 2 stalks celery, 2 Tbsp. garlic, and 2 Tbsp. curry powder in 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large saucepot over medium heat.
- Add 3 C vegetable stock, 1 Tbsp. liquid aminos, and ½ C lentils.
- Simmer until lentils are cooked through.
- Add roasted butternut squash dices and warm though.
What is Mountain Trek?
Mountain Trek is the health reset you’ve been looking for. Our award-winning health retreat, immersed in the lush nature of British Columbia, will help you detox, unplug, recharge, and roll back years of stress and unhealthy habits. To learn more about the retreat, and how we can help you reset your health, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out below: