Pan Seared Chilean Sea Bass with Roasted Garlic Cauliflower & Fennel Apple Salad with Apple Cider Hemp Seed Vinaigrette
Featuring two nutrient-packed late winter/early spring vegetables, cauliflower and fennel, this Pan Seared Chilean Sea Bass with Roasted Garlic Cauliflower & Fennel Apple Salad with Apple Cider Hemp Seed Vinaigrette recipe is best made from late January to April and is a wonderful option for both lunch and dinner. Cauliflower is a great source of fiber and nutrients, and is also rich in sulforaphane, an antioxidant that reduces inflammatory stress and improves the immune system function (and gives cauliflower its pungent aroma). Fennel is rich in vitamin C, which is critical for immune health, tissue repair, and collagen synthesis. Noticing a pattern here? These winter vegetables are packed full of immune-system building vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants as winter is historically a time we move, and therefore, detoxify less. These seasonal vegetables are packed full of what our bodies need at that moment.
Cauliflower and fennel are not the only ingredients bringing something to the party, however, as roasted garlic, a member of the allium family, has serious antioxidant and even, antibiotic, properties. In this recipe, we roast the garlic bulb whole, only cutting off the top and drizzling with avocado oil before going into the oven, a new method to most, but one that saves a ton of time. You may bulk prep garlic like this moving forward!
Chilean Sea Bass is our preferred fish for this dish, however, any white fish will substitute nicely. And if you’re a vegetarian, we recommend extra-firm tofu as a substitute. Chilean Sea Bass, with its buttery taste, is rich in vitamin D and protein, further adding to the benefits of this healthy dinner meal.
The Apple Cider Hemp Seed vinaigrette dressing is packed full of goodness as well. Raw apple cider is a wonderful probiotic, while hemp seeds and avocado oil pack healthy Omega-3 fats into this dish. Proper ratios of carbs, protein, fat, and Omega-3s make this a model Superplate. Learn more about Mountain Trek’s nutrition tenants.
- 12 guests made this recipe alongside our chef and nutritionist during a recent Basecamp Weekend Retreat.
- This is the first dinner in our 48-Hour Anti-inflammatory Meal Plan.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 1 head Garlic
- Avocado oil (1 tsp. + 1 tsp. + 1 Cup + 1 tsp. used in recipe)
- 1/2 Shallot
- 1 Lemon
- 1 tsp. Liquid aminos
- 2 Chilean sea bass fillets (or other white fish), thawed if previously frozen (sub firm or extra firm tofu for vegetarian)
- ½ head Cauliflower
- Salt (¼ tsp. + ¼ tsp. used in recipe)
- 1 Tbsp. Hemp seeds
- ½ C Raw apple cider vinegar
- ½ C Water
- ½ bulb Fennel
- ½ Apple
- Roast Garlic—Cut top of garlic head off to reveal cloves, drizzle with ¼ tsp. oil, wrap in foil, and place in a 425 F oven.
- Marinate Fish—Small dice ½ shallot. Combine with lemon, 1 tsp. avocado oil, and 1 tsp. liquid aminos in a bowl or bag. Place fish in marinade.
- Roast Cauliflower— Roughly chop ½ head cauliflower. Place on a parchment-lined sheet pan and toss with 1 tsp. avocado oil and ¼ tsp. salt then place in a 425 F oven.
- Prepare Vinaigrette—Combine 1 Tbsp. hemp seeds, ½ C raw apple cider vinegar, 1 C avocado oil, ½ C water, and ¼ tsp. salt in a blender and blend until combined smooth. Reserve for salad.
- Sear Fish—Heat 1 tsp. avocado oil. When hot, add fish and sear until cooked through, flipping once (approximately 2 minutes per side depending on fish type and thickness. 145 F internal temperature).
- Prepare Roasted Garlic Cauliflower—Remove garlic after 40 minutes of roasting and open foil packet to cool. When cool to touch, squeeze garlic cloves out of skin. Remove cauliflower from the oven when tender and slightly browned and toss with roasted garlic in a medium bowl.
- Prepare Salad—Thinly slice ½ bulb fennel, reserving fronds for garnish. Julienne ½ apple. Combine fennel, apple, and 1 Tbsp. apple cider hemp seed dressing and toss to create salad.
- Plate garlic cauliflower, salad, and fish and enjoy.
What is Mountain Trek?
Mountain Trek is the health reset you’ve been looking for. Our award-winning health retreat, immersed in the lush nature of British Columbia, will help you detox, unplug, recharge, and roll back years of stress and unhealthy habits. To learn more about the retreat, and how we can help you reset your health, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out below: