This chicken dinner dish is bursting with traditional eastern flavors, but packs a modern healthy punch. Served with a massaged kale salad, this recipe is a balanced, healthy meal that is high in protein and vitamins, and low in carbs and calories. The yogurt marinated chicken is juicy and flavorful, while the kale salad is light and fresh. We recommend serving it with a dollop of Raita, and a side of sweet potato spears baked in avocado oil. Serves 4.
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4)
- 1.5 lbs skinless, boneless free-range organic chicken breasts
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt or plain Greek yogurt
- 3 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup English cucumber, sliced lengthwise then chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems, coarsely chopped
- 1 fresh ginger, peeled and chopped into 1″ piece
- 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tbsp garam masala spice
- 1/2 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- pinch of cumin
Massaged Kale Salad Ingredients
- 1 medium bunch of black or curly kale
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 carrots, grated
- lemon squeeze
- 1 orange, peeled segmented
- salt pinch
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp seeds, toasted pumpkin, sesame, or pomegranate
- 2 tbsp Raita
- Clean and dry the chicken and place in a large ziplock bag or a glass dish.
- Combine the yogurt with all of the marinade ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour yogurt mixture over chicken, seal bag, and turn to coat – or toss the chicken with the marinade in a dish and cover.
- Marinate chicken in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile, prepare the kale by washing it and removing the tough stems and veins. Cut or shred into small pieces and allow to dry.
- Combine the lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and salt with the kale. Massage with your hands or mash with a wooden spoon.
- Allow the kale to sit 15 minutes, or up to an hour, stirring and mashing a few more times.
- Squeeze some lemon juice on the carrots and toss.
- Combine this mixture with the kale and drizzle with the remaining olive oil, a pinch of salt, and black pepper to taste. Add another spritz of oil if the mixture seems dry.
- Top with toasted pumpkin or sesame seeds, and the orange segments.
- Heat a gas grill to medium-high. Spray grates with oil. Scrape excess marinade off chicken. Grill chicken, turning once, until browned and cooked through.
What is Mountain Trek?
Mountain Trek is the health reset you’ve been looking for. Our award-winning hiking-based health retreat, immersed in the lush nature of British Columbia, will help you detox, unplug, recharge, and roll back years of stress and unhealthy habits. To learn more about the retreat, and how we can help you reset your health, please email us at email@example.com or reach out below: