When spring hits, it’s very common to feel an animal need to “clean”, both our homes and our bodies. Naturally, over the winter we move less, eat less fresh food, and build up toxins. Come spring, we want to burst forth, like the wildflowers, and kickstart living again. This meal is your ticket to doing just that! Packed full of fresh seasonal ingredients, vitamins, minerals, fiber, and nutrients, this meal is a true representation of the magical spring season.
A charred scallion vinaigrette tops the chickpeas and mushrooms and gives this dish a flavor your tastebuds have never seen before. Rounded out with baked shallots and turnips, this meal is a light, fresh, and healthy dinner option.
View our animal-protein version: Chicken Breast with Charred Scallion Vinaigrette Over Roasted Shallots & Turnips with Sautéed Spring Vegetables
- 12 guests will make this recipe alongside our chef and nutritionist during an upcoming Basecamp Weekend Retreat.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 bunch Scallions
- 3 Shallots
- 3 Turnips*
- Avocado Oil (1t + 1 C + 1 t)
- Kosher Salt (1/4 t + 1/4t + 1/4t)
- 1-2 Lemons
- 12 oz Snap Peas
- 1 bunch Asparagus
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast (See vegan option1)
- 1-2 Radishes
*Can sub rutabaga or other root vegetable or mix of both
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and turn oven broiler to high.
- Trim ends of scallions, and place on a foil-lined sheet pan under broiler. Once charred, flip to char on other side and remove. Place charred scallions into blender to reserve.
- Turn oven to 400 F / 205 C.
- Peel and slice shallots and medium dice turnips. Place in a baking dish (about 13×9) and toss with 1 t avocado oil, and ¼ t salt. Bake in oven for about 15 minutes.
- Blanch the snap peas and asparagus by boiling in water until desired doneness (about 4 minutes) and then shocking in ice water.
- Prepare the vinaigrette by adding 1-2 lemons, zested and juiced, 1 C avocado oil and ¼ t salt and blend until very smooth.
- Drain chickpeas. Slice mushrooms.
- Remove the turnips and shallots from the oven and stir. Place chickpeas and mushrooms on top and coat with about 1 t of the scallion vinaigrette. Roast for another 15 minutes or until your mushrooms are cooked through.
- Very thinly slice radish and reserve.
- Sauté asparagus and snap peas in 1 t avocado oil and ¼ t salt just to warm throughout.
- Plate chicken on top of roasted turnips and shallots. Add asparagus and snap peas on side, topped with thinly sliced radish.
What is Mountain Trek?
Mountain Trek is the health reset you’ve been looking for. Our award-winning health retreat, immersed in the lush nature of British Columbia, will help you detox, unplug, recharge, and roll back years of stress and unhealthy habits. To learn more about the retreat, and how we can help you reset your health, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out below: