Simple meets versatile in this healthy lunch or dinner recipe that is primarily just two ingredients: roast chicken and cabbage. But don’t let its simplicity fool you, this recipe is packed full of nutrients and sure to leave your tastebuds, and stomach, happy. The trick to making this a full meal is preparing the cabbage in two different styles with two different seasoning approaches. On one hand, you have unseasoned cabbage that gets baked underneath the roast chicken, so it cooks down and absorbs flavor. One the other, you have raw cabbage made as a slaw with za’atar, lemon zest and juice, olive oil, and salt. The juxtaposition of flavors and textures—that come from the same ingredient—brings depth to this meal, without a frustrating grocery shop.
A full chicken is immensely versatile, and less intimidating than you may think. One recommendation is to ask your butcher to “spatchcock” your chicken, giving you a head start on this recipe.
Prior to baking, the chicken in this recipe is coated with an immensely flavorful spread featuring turmeric, cumin, ground coriander, ground allspice, salt and olive oil. Then placed directly atop a bed of cabbage, the flavors meld together while baking at 400 F.
Cabbage is an often overlooked vegetable. Typically unassuming in color, it actually packs quite a nutrient punch. Cabbage actually belongs to the Brassica genus of vegetables, which includes broccoli, cauliflower and kale, rather than the lettuce family like most people think, making it a wonderful addition to any meal, and is certainly Mountain Trek approved. Learn more about Mountain Trek’s Nutrition Principles.
- 12 guests recently made this recipe alongside our chef and nutritionist during a virtual Basecamp Weekend Retreat.
- If you wish to make this meal plant-based, substitute cauliflower for chicken.
- View more of Chef Jillian’s recipes.
Ingredients (Serves 4+)
- 1 head Cabbage
- 2 lemons
- 1 small whole chicken (less than 3 lbs. ideal)
- 1 t turmeric
- 1t cumin
- ½ t ground coriander (optional)
- ½ t ground allspice (optional)
- 1t + ½ t kosher or sea salt
- 2 T + ½ C olive oil
- 3-5 sprigs dill
- 5-7 springs parsley
- 1-3 sprigs mint
- 1 bunch green onions
- 2 Tbsp. za’atar seasoning
- Heat oven to 400 F.
- Slice rounds of whole cabbage about ½” thick until you reach the core. Place 2-3 rounds on a parchment lined sheet pan. Remove and discard core, finely shred remaining cabbage, and reserve in a medium bowl (for your slaw)
- Slice 1 lemon into rounds and place on top of cabbage on sheet pan.
- Prepare chicken by cutting down one side of the back using kitchen shears or a chef knife. This process will allow you to spread the chicken legs and thighs out and allow for more even cooking (“spatchcock”). Place the chicken skin-side up on top of the cabbage and lemons.
- Combine 1 t turmeric, 1 t cumin, ½ t ground coriander, ½ t ground allspice, 1 t salt and 2 T olive oil in small bowl and spread evenly over chicken letting overflow into cabbage base.
- Place chicken and cabbage in oven to roast until thickest part of breast registers 165 F on a meat thermometer or breast is white throughout and juices run clear when cut into.
- To prepare the slaw, finely chop dill, parsley, and mint and combine with shredded cabbage.
- Slice green onions and combine greens only with shredded cabbage.
- Season the shredded cabbage with 2 T za’atar, 1 lemon zest and juice, ½ C olive oil, and ½ t salt.
- Serve chicken with cooked cabbage and slaw on side.
What is Mountain Trek?
Mountain Trek is the health reset you’ve been looking for. Our award-winning health retreat, immersed in the lush nature of British Columbia, will help you detox, unplug, recharge, and roll back years of stress and unhealthy habits. To learn more about the retreat, and how we can help you reset your health, please email us at email@example.com or reach out below: