If you’re looking to make a delicious plant-based dinner that leaves nothing to be wanted, this is it. Mushrooms are the star of this show, and for good reason; a low-calorie food that packs a nutritional punch, these fungi are loaded with many health-boosting vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Their texture is a perfect complement to the cannellini bean filling and their umami taste satisfies your tastebuds without the help of animal protein.
A side of healthy cauliflower mash will have you writing your grandmother to update her recipe—swapping out cauliflower for potatoes and Greek yogurt for butter results in more protein, less carbs, and less unhealthy fats, yet, maintains a distinct rich flavor that comforts and warms your belly.
Not only are green beans a nice, crunchy, low-calorie food but also they provide many key nutrients. Young, tender green beans are a good source of vitamin C, dietary fiber, folate, and vitamin K.
Finished off with a simple mixed green salad with hemp seed & apple cider vinegar dressing, this plate meets all of our nutritional standards, and will leave you satiated, less inflamed, and more nutrified. Learn more about Mountain Trek’s Nutrition Principles.
- 12 guests recently made this recipe alongside our chef and nutritionist during a virtual Basecamp Weekend Retreat.
- This recipe was designed by Chef Jillian. If you’d like an opportunity to cook alongside her and Nutritionist Jenn, consider joining out next Supper Club.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- ½ head cauliflower
- 8 oz French Green Beans (Haricot Verts)
- 1 shallot
- ½ C raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 T hemp seeds
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 1 15.5 oz (439g) can of cannellini beans
- 2 t nutritional yeast
- Juice and zest from 1 lemon
- 1 T avocado oil
- Kosher salt (¼ t + ¼ t + 2 pinch used in recipe)
- Avocado oil (1 C + 1 t + 1 T used in recipe)
- ½ C red wine
- ¼ C Greek yogurt
- 2 T walnut pieces
- 1 C baby greens, loosely packed
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Prepare And Cook Cauliflower—Rough chop ½ head cauliflower, then place in a saucepot and cover with water. Bring water to a boil.
- Prepare Green Beans—Trim 8 oz green beans, if necessary, and bring another saucepot of water to a boil (for the beans).
- Prep Step—Small dice 1 shallot and reserve.
- Cook Green Beans—When water for green beans comes to a boil, drop beans in the boiling water. While boiling, prepare an ice bath. Check beans for slight tenderness, remove when done, and drop into an ice bath (note: this is called “blanching”). Once cooled, remove, dry, and reserve.
- Prepare Salad Dressing—Combine 1 T hemp seeds, ½ C vinegar, 1 C avocado oil, ½ C water, and ¼ t salt in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Prepare And Cook Stuffed Mushrooms—Remove mushroom stems and space, stem side up on a sheet pan. In a bowl, mash one 15.5 oz can of cannellini beans with 2 t nutritional yeast, the juice, and zest of 1 lemon, 1 T avocado oil, and 1/4 t salt. Scoop bean mash into the mushroom cavity, filling as desired. Place in oven and cook until tops have browned slightly.
- Make Red Wine Shallots—Put 1 minced shallot into the pan along with 1 C red wine and reduce until almost dry, scraping up any bits that may have stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Make Cauliflower Mash—When cauliflower is very tender, strain well and place in a bowl. Add ¼ C Greek yogurt, ¼ t salt, and mash to desired consistency.
- Finish Green Beans—Heat another sauté or small sauce pot to warm green beans. Add 1 t avocado oil, 2 T walnuts, green beans, and a very small pinch of salt and warm through.
- Plate And Enjoy—When all components are done, plate cauliflower mash, green beans, and mushrooms. Top mushrooms with shallots, and drizzle salad dressing over the baby greens. Enjoy!
What is Mountain Trek?
Mountain Trek is the health reset you’ve been looking for. Our award-winning health retreat, immersed in the lush nature of British Columbia, will help you detox, unplug, recharge, and roll back years of stress and unhealthy habits. To learn more about the retreat, and how we can help you reset your health, please email us at email@example.com or reach out below: