This full meal recipe is simple, easy to make, and packed full of nutrients and flavor. Chicken thighs, which are often overlooked for the breasts, are more forgiving and pack more flavor. Boneless skinless thighs are perfect for braising in this simple tomato sauce, which is packed full of nutrients. When you cook tomatoes, you increase their lycopene content, which is a powerful antioxidant. To round out this dish, we cook spaghetti squash rubbed with olive oil and serve a simple baby green salad with a homemade nut butter vinaigrette. The nut butter vinaigrette is wonderful to make extra of for as a vegetable dip or topping as the healthy fat in the nut butter helps support the absorption of the vitamins in the vegetables.
This recipe is the first dinner in our 2-day Healthy Meal Plan, a 48-hour nutrition plan developed by our chef and nutritionist to give you a metabolic reset. The plan covers the entire day, from waking to sleep, and teaches you how to treat food as fuel, eating nutrient-dense ingredients in the correct portion sizes at the optimal times. The result is reduced inflammation, increased energy, weight loss, improved gut health, and balanced hormones.
This recipe was originally cooked by a Basecamp Weekend Retreat group.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- Olive oil
- 2 tsp. liquid aminos
- 1 red onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- Garlic (~3 cloves needed)
- 1-28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1.5 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 Tbsp. nut butter of choice (no sugar added)
- 1 lemon
- ¼ C water
- 2 C baby greens
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes
- Heat oven to 400 F.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Rub 1 tsp. olive oil on cut side and place cut side down on a parchment or foil-lined sheet pan.
- Roast until tender (approximately 30 minutes).
Tomato Braised Chicken Thighs
- Small dice 1 red onion and 1 red bell pepper. Mince garlic (1 Tbsp. needed).
- Sauté onion, bell pepper, and garlic in 1 tsp. olive oil until soft.
- Add 28 oz canned tomatoes and 1 tsp. liquid aminos and bring to a simmer.
- Add 1.5 lb chicken thighs and simmer uncovered until cooked through.
Baby Greens Salad with Nut Butter Vinaigrette
- Zest and juice 1 lemon and combine with 3 Tbsp. nut butter, 1 tsp. liquid aminos, ¼ cup olive oil, and ¼ cup water, whisking until smooth.
- Halve 10-12 cherry tomatoes and toss with 2 cups baby greens.
- Serve greens with the dressing.
- If making this recipe as part of our 2-day Healthy Meal Plan, reserve and store remaining spaghetti squash, tomato sauce, and chicken, separately, for tomorrow’s breakfast and lunch.
What is Mountain Trek?
Mountain Trek is the health reset you’ve been looking for. Our award-winning health retreat, immersed in the lush nature of British Columbia, will help you detox, unplug, recharge, and roll back years of stress and unhealthy habits. To learn more about the retreat, and how we can help you reset your health, please email us at email@example.com or reach out below: