Instead of setting resolutions this year, why not think of the New Year as an opportunity to add some new ideas into your lifestyle. For instant stress release try:
- Have a cup of tea. Perhaps the English had it right taking an afternoon break for tea. According to a study conducted at University College London, tea drinking has been show to lower levels of the stress hormone, cortisol after a stressful event.
- Listen to classical music. This helps produce the "calm and connect" hormone, oxytocin.
Some nutrition ideas might be:
- Eat high fiber food (vegetables, fruits, beans, lentils, whole grains, nuts and seeds) – not only are they highly nutritious but because fiber creates the sensation of being full, they will help you stay lean. Fiber is also a great boon to help the body rid itself of toxins. All the more reason to load up on fiber rich foods.
- Drink wine it after dinner if you are going to have it. Research has shown alcohol consumed before eating increases the chances of eating more food as alcohol not only whets your appetite but also makes food more tasty.
- See a door, do a stretch – raise your arms up and grab the top of the door frame and lean forward as far as you can, hold for 30 seconds. Your shoulders will love you.
- Mix up your exercise regime – not only will it help you stay motivated, but it will help you burn more calories and prevent injury. The body responds to variety.
By taking care of the three pillars of vitality – stress management, good nutrition, and fitness, weight loss is a natural bonus.