Q: My body feels toxic—What should I do?
A: The topic of detoxification is old and new, detailed, and confusing. All modalities of detoxification are essentially supporting the eliminatory systems of the body to release unwanted substances that are taxing the body’s health and energy. Our body naturally filters all chemicals and bio-toxins via the kidneys, liver, and lymphatic system. We also expel particles of waste via breath, our urine, feces, and sweat. In our modern world, we are ingesting thousands of chemical compounds from the food industry, inhaling toxic chemicals from our urban atmosphere, and even absorbing elements from the other periodic table from cosmetics to cleaning products via our semi-permeable skin.
Our filtering organs are taxed.
Here are seven simple lifestyle tips to help your body avoid the negative effects of hormonal disruption, cancer cell stimulation, and organ duress from the accumulation of excess minerals, heavy metals, plastics, and petroleum chemicals:
- Drink a minimum of 10, 8 oz. glasses of filtered plain water to help your kidneys flush water-soluble toxins.
- Aim to get 2-3 bowel movements a day with a fiber-rich diet so that the fat-soluble toxins that the liver filters and releases into the intestines don’t get reabsorbed.
- Go for a fitness hike in a clean natural environment whenever you can to expel unwanted waste via your lungs.
- Enjoy a relaxing sauna or steam once a week to purge toxins through your sweat glands.
- Include natural “chelators” into your diet like cilantro, garlic, spirulina, chlorella, or miso. Chelators bind to heavy metals and pull them out through the digestive system in a process called chelation.
- Relax with a full body massage that includes lymphatic drainage to support bio-toxin removal.
- Do a simple 24-hour water or juice fast once or twice a year to give the eliminatory organs a break.
We hope these tips help you feel cleaner, inside and out.
What is Mountain Trek?
Mountain Trek is the health reset you’ve been looking for. Our award-winning health retreat, immersed in the lush nature of British Columbia, will help you detox, unplug, recharge, and roll back years of stress and unhealthy habits. To learn more about the retreat, and how we can help you reset your health, please email us at email@example.com or reach out below: