This kale and quinoa salad recipe is gluten-free and packed full of nutrients, omegas, and antioxidants. Quinoa is a complete protein (has all the essential amino acids), high in fiber, a good source of antioxidants, and also has a good omega-3 profile. Kale is a nutrient powerhouse and packed with antioxidants like quercetin and kaempferol. Blueberries and lemon juice are both chelators—compounds that bind to heavy metals and support the elimination of them—furthering the detox benefits of this recipe. Put these all together and you have a nutrient-rich, hearty salad that will leave you feeling healthy and clean.
- 2 cups quinoa – cooked in 3 cups water
- 4 packed cups kale, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 Haas avocado, chopped
- 1 cup red onion, finely minced
- 1/4 cup additional olive oil
- Topped with toasted pumpkin seeds
- Fresh blueberries
- Fresh Spinach to bed the salad
- Cook the quinoa in the water.
- Meanwhile in a separate bowl, combine the kale, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt. Get in there with your hands and massage the kale so it’s well coated, and set it aside to wilt for at least 10 minutes.
- When the quinoa has cooled, transfer the kale mixture, pomegranate seeds, avocado, onion, and additional olive oil to the bowl with the quinoa, and toss well. You can serve immediately or make this salad a day ahead and refrigerate overnight. Top with toasted pumpkin seeds and blueberries.