Shakshuka with Sprouted Bread Recipe
Trying to eat healthily for breakfast typically results in a lot of repetition. Break the mold with this Shakshuka, a unique, healthy, and simple breakfast that is packed full of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant. The spiced tomato sauce works as a tasty vessel to cook your eggs in while sprouted bread on the side is perfect for dipping into the sauce and egg. A truly great way to give your tastebuds a break from the ordinary.
This recipe is the first breakfast in our 2-day Healthy Meal Plan, a 48-hour nutrition plan developed by our chef and nutritionist to give you a metabolic reset. The plan covers the entire day, from waking to sleep, and teaches you how to treat food as fuel, eating nutrient-dense ingredients in the correct portion sizes at the optimal times. The result is reduced inflammation, increased energy, weight loss, improved gut health, and balanced hormones.
This recipe was originally cooked by a Basecamp Weekend Retreat group.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- Olive oil
- Liquid Aminos
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- Garlic (~2 small cloves needed)
- 1-28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 8 eggs
- 4 slices sprouted bread
- Small dice 1/2 red onion and 1/2 red bell pepper. Mince garlic (4 Tbsp. needed).
- Sauté onion, bell pepper, and garlic in 1 tsp. olive oil until soft.
- Add 28 oz canned tomatoes, 1 tsp. liquid aminos, and 1 tsp. cumin and bring to a simmer.
- Crack eggs into the center and cover.
- Continue cooking until eggs are at your desired temperature.
- Serve with sliced sprouted bread, toasted if you wish.
- If making this recipe as part of our 2-day Health Meal Plan, skip instructions 1-3, and start by adding your remaining tomato sauce to a cooking vessel. Proceed with instruction 4.
What is Mountain Trek?
Mountain Trek is the health reset you’ve been looking for. Our award-winning health retreat, immersed in the lush nature of British Columbia, will help you detox, unplug, recharge, and roll back years of stress and unhealthy habits. To learn more about the retreat, and how we can help you reset your health, please email us at email@example.com or reach out below: