Spiral Chicken with Mashed Cauliflower and Cranberry
This dish is great any day but makes an especially fantastic holiday meal in lieu of a whole chicken and fixings. The savory mushroom stuffing coils through the rolled chicken to produce spiral discs when sliced. Guests will think you have made an exceptional effort, but the preparation is actually simple. We think of it as elevated comfort food.
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4)
- 4 small chicken breasts (organic, free-range)
- 2 cups mushrooms, grated
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 1 cup zucchini, grated
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped finely
- 2 tsp. flax oil
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. tamari or Braggs
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- pepper pinch
- 1 cup bone broth
- 1 1/4 cup cauliflower, chopped
- 3/4 cup sweet potato, cubed
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cranberries, cooked
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp lime zest
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 extra cup chicken bone broth
- Heat the oven to 375°F.
- Prepare the chicken by slicing the thickness of the breast laterally almost all the way through and opening it up. Pound it with a tenderizer until it makes a thin but still firm “crepe”.
- Combine the mushrooms filling ingredients in a large pan and sauté until cooked down and the flavors are combined. Drain off any liquid and save. Cool to room temperature.
- Spread ¼ of the mushroom filling over each breast and roll from one end to make a log.
- Place the log on a sheet of tinfoil, secure the ends by tucking them in, and bake for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the cauliflower, potato, garlic, and salt in the water until soft, then drain and return to pot.
- Mash until smooth and keep warm.
- (If you’d like a little gravy sauce with this dish take the reserved liquid from the mushroom stuffing and thicken with a bit of organic flour or arrowroot powder, being sure not to let lumps form). Add extra bone broth as needed.
- Prepare the cranberry sauce by simmering the ingredients together for about 15 minutes then cool and mash.
- Unwrap the chicken when it’s baked and slice the roll to create spiral rounds. Stack the rounds or lean them, domino-style.
- Drizzle the mushroom “gravy” over the chicken, and serve with cauliflower and cranberry.
What is Mountain Trek?
Mountain Trek is the health reset you’ve been looking for. Our award-winning health retreat, immersed in the lush nature of British Columbia, will help you detox, unplug, recharge, and roll back years of stress and unhealthy habits. To learn more about the retreat, and how we can help you reset your health, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out below: