We recently developed this soup in an effort to bring more flavors of the east to our menu. As a base, it uses chickpea miso, which delivers some sweetness but is balanced by the sesame, tamari, and sake. We’ve included shiitake mushrooms, arame seaweed and edamame beans for a great nutritional profile.
Time: 20 min
INGREDIENTS (Serves 6)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Braggs amino acids or tamari
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 4 tsp cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup onions, cut lengthwise
- 1 cup carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped on diagonal
- 2 cups napa cabbage, thinly sliced
- 5 tbsp chickpea miso paste
- 4 cup beef stock or bone broth (for heartier soup)
- 1-2 cups water
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1 1/2 cup edamame soybeans, without pods
- 1/2 cup smoked tofu, diced
- 1/2 cup arame seaweed
- 20 oz. striploin beef, cleaned, fat removed, cut into ¼” thick small strips.
PREPARATION (20 min)
- Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Meanwhile, prepare the shitake mushrooms, onions, carrots, celery, cabbage, ginger, and garlic.
- Also while the water is coming to a boil, prepare the striploin beef and set aside.
- Once boiling, pour the water into a large bowl and add the arame seaweed. Set aside and let soak for 20 min to rehydrate.
- Heat the olive and sesame oil in a large pot on medium-high.
- Add all ingredients from step 2 (vegetables + ginger + garlic) and the Braggs to the pot. Saute until soft.
- While the vegetables are cooking, blend the miso with beef stock/bone broth, vinegar, and sake in a large pot and heat. This is your soup broth.
- Add vegetables (once cooked), tofu, and edamame to the soup broth and simmer at a low temperature for 10 minutes. Add water as desired for preferred thickness.
- Meanwhile, using your vegetable pot, stir fry your beef in olive oil with a splash of sesame oil and Braggs until slightly browned. Add to soup once cooked.
- Drain the seaweed. Add atop the soup before serving.
What is Mountain Trek?
Mountain Trek is an award-winning health retreat immersed in the lush nature of British Columbia. Our one or two-week program—featuring daily hiking, yoga, exercise classes, time in our state-of-the-art spa, and of course, delicious, healthy cuisine—will help you detox, unplug, recharge, and roll back years of stress and unhealthy habits. To learn more about the retreat, and how we can help you reset your health, please email us at email@example.com or reach out below: