While a noodle-less lasagna may conjure visions of an unstructured mess, we find this healthy dinner dish to be amply supported by delicious layers of thinly-sliced zucchini, squash, and eggplant. Layered between these nutritious vegetables that we often overlook is mushroom, swiss chard, roasted red peppers, and cheese. We’ve provided the recipe for our delicious homemade Red Wine Tomato Sauce, but you can also use a quality organic store-bought sauce if you are short on time. Serve with a simple green salad on the side to round out your meal. Enjoy!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
Red Wine Tomato Sauce (optional—can use store-bought sauce)
- 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup red wine
- 4 cups canned organic tomatoes, blended
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 1/4″ slices lengthwise
- 2 zucchinis, sliced into 1/4″ slices lengthwise
- 1 large or 2 small butternut squash, sliced into 1/4″ slices
- 1 ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, or mozzarella
- ¾ cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons parmesan – grated
- Pinch of nutmeg
- ½ cup swiss chard – chopped
- ½ cup roasted red pepper- chopped (if from a jar, drain thoroughly)
- 1 cup sharp cheese or parmesan – grated
- 2/3 cup pitted olives- ground into a tapenade (optional topping)
- 2 cups salad greens (optional side)
- olive oil and balsamic vinegar for drizzling (optional for side salad)
- Prepare the red wine sauce by sautéing olive oil, onions, garlic, and all herbs, salt, and pepper in a saucepan until translucent.
- Deglaze with the wine, then add tomatoes, honey, and vinegar and heat through to simmer for 5 minutes and then set the sauce aside.
- For the lasagna, start by slicing the eggplant, zucchini, and squash into 1/4″ thin pieces, lengthwise.
- Lightly spray the eggplant, zucchini, and squash with cooking spray or brush with oil and bake on a baking sheet for 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté the mushrooms in oil and garlic, then deglaze the pan with the white wine.
- Beat the cottage cheese with the egg, parmesan, and nutmeg. Set aside to be included in the lasagna.
- Put 4 tablespoons of your red sauce in the bottom of an 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Layer in sequence: 4 slices of eggplant / mushrooms and red pepper / red wine sauce – 1 cup / swiss chard / cottage cheese mixture -1/2 cup / zuccini / red wine sauce -1 cup / cheddar cheese or mozzarella / butternut squash / red wine sauce- 1 cup/ sharp cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Top with olive tapenade, and serve with a side of greens drizzled with oil and vinegar.
What is Mountain Trek?
Mountain Trek is the health reset you’ve been looking for. Our award-winning health retreat, immersed in the lush nature of British Columbia, will help you detox, unplug, recharge, and roll back years of stress and unhealthy habits. To learn more about the retreat, and how we can help you reset your health, please email us at email@example.com or reach out below: