While gluten free lasagna may conjure visions of an unstructured lasagna we find this lasagna to be amply supported with delicious layers of thinly-sliced vegetables. We like to use swiss chard in lieu of spinach and have been known to substitute the cheese with vegan cashew cheese. This dish is rich with flavor. We’ve provided the recipe for our delicious homemade tomato sauce, but you could use a quality organic store-bought version if you are short on time. Enjoy!
Red Wine Tomato Sauce
- 2 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup red wine
- 4 cups canned organic tomatoes, blended
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 eggplant
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 ½ cup mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 large or 2 small butternut squash, baked
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, or mozzarella
- ¾ cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons parmesan – grated
- Pinch of nutmeg
- ½ cup swiss chard – chopped
- ½ cup roasted red pepper- chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheese or parmesan – grated
- 2/3 cup pitted olives- ground into a tapenade
- 2 cups salad greens
- olive oil and balsamic vinegar for drizzling
- Prepare the red wine sauce by sautéing olive oil, onions, garlic, and all herbs, salt and pepper in a saucepan until translucent.
- Deglaze with the wine, then add tomatoes, honey and vinegar and heat through to simmer for 5 minutes and set aside.
- Beat the cottage cheese with the egg, parmesan and nutmeg.
- Slice the eggplant into very thin pieces and slice the zucchini into thin pieces, lengthwise.
- Bake the eggplant and zucchini on a baking sheet for 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile sauté the mushrooms in oil and garlic, then deglaze the pan with the white wine.
- Slice the squash into 8 thin pieces.
- Put 4 tablespoons of the sauce in the bottom of an 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Layer in sequence: 4 slices of eggplant / mushrooms and red pepper / red wine sauce – 1cup / swiss chard / cottage cheese -1/2 cup / zucchinis / red wine sauce -1 cup / cheese / butternut squash / red wine sauce- 1 cup/ sharp cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Top with olive tapenade, and serve with a side of greens drizzled with oil and vinegar.